Thursday, February 4, 2016

We Are Family!

____ Friends

____ Career Growth and Stability

____ Family
____ Education
____ Sports and Recreation
____ Health and Hygiene
____ Traveling
____ Faith and Religion
____ Money and Financial Security
____ Technology
Each of the above is important.  They all play a relatively significant role in the lives of most people in developed countries.  Now, as I’m sure you’ve been asked to do many times, rank them.  From 1 to 10.  Use each number only once.  Which is the most important to you?  How do you justify your order?  Would other people place them in the same order if they were evaluating your life from an “outsider’s perspective”? 
Of course it doesn’t really work like that.  They intersect with one another.  They blend together.  They fluctuate.  Different variables can change what is important at any given moment.  For many, life can’t be compartmentalized or categorized as such.  I know it can’t for me.
I value all of the above.   Some would fluctuate much more than others, but you would consistently find “Family” towards the top.  They are the people who are nearest and dearest to my heart.  My family is the best!  They accept the award.  They take the cake.  They win the gold.  And any other person that makes the same claim is a liar.  I call your bluff.  I challenge you to a duel.  To the death. 
There is a debate regarding the “choice” of homosexuality.  Some believe that it is strictly a matter of choice, often one made after disturbing life events.  Others believe that it is natural.  Not a choice.  Born gay. Not born with “it”, as if it were a contagious disease or mental condition.  Not born different.   Born, with an orientation that isn’t heterosexual. Born.  Human.
I find it necessary to describe my family and the role they have played in my life.  There are people who believe that most, if not all, gay people “become gay” as a result of either a missing father or some form of sexual assault, rape, or abuse in their childhood. I’ll share my experience with such a person in a future post. So I find it imperative to clarify this horribly inaccurate and offensive stereotype.  Are there people who have become involved with homosexual relationships as a result of those factors?  Yes, of course!  But I don’t think many would disagree that missing father figures or experiencing rape or sexual abuse leads to many types of life decisions.  Choices that don’t include homosexuality.  Regardless, choosing to believe that homosexual people are gay as a result, and only as a result, of one of these two things is pure ignorance.  So allow me to introduce myself: a gay male that has an incredible father and never experienced any form of sexual abuse. And, to make it perfectly clear, I’m not an anomaly.
I am a member of a relatively small family, especially when I compare it to my partner’s family, which I swear includes the entirety of Baltimore.  My nuclear family is five, including myself.  My extended family isn’t too large; in fact, we all fit, quite smugly, in my grandparents’ homes during holidays and family gatherings.  It would probably still be the case today; however, great grandchildren might make that a little more difficult.
My parents are David and Kathy Coalter; both were born in Sparta, Michigan.  In fact, they were high school sweethearts.  They were married after graduating and remain married today.  My parents are the most significant factor in the development of my character and the person that I have become.  I am forever grateful for their love, patience, gentleness, discipline, and compassion. They sacrificed tremendously for their family, and they supported myself and two siblings unwaveringly. 
My father is dedicated to providing for his family.  We were never wealthy but we lived very comfortably.  I’m not sure that my father has ever worked a job that he was passionate about; however, he has taught us a strong work ethic and perseverance.  He is always on time.  He always dresses for success.  He never calls out sick.  He is kind to his employees, and it is evident that he is greatly respected by them.  My father was a family man.  I remember sitting at home in the living room or playing the front yard, and my father would pull into the driveway before 5:00pm almost every day.  He never missed an event in which one of his children participated.  He made it to all of our sporting events.  He never missed teacher conferences.  He always spent time with us.  He would play basketball in the driveway.  He would sit and play video games.  He helped me learned the guitar when I struggled teaching myself.  He would help my brother and me with our dirt bikes and ATVs.  He would play cards and various party games with us.  And on top of all of this, he loved his wife.  It is still evident to me that my mother is the queen of his life.  With every little kiss or pinch or slap of the butt, it is clear that he loves her.  He was always a quiet man, but give him a couple beers and be assured that you will be experiencing some of his life wisdom.  My father is my hero.  I admire him.  I respect him.  I want to be like him.  
I am a momma’s boy.  I’m not embarrassed.  I’m not ashamed.  I love my momma!  If ever there was a woman that supported and loved her children near unconditionally, it was her.  She is kind, gentle, forgiving, affirming, supportive, tender, compassionate, patient…the list goes on.  My mother functioned in the same manner as my father.  She would not miss a single event in which her children were participating.  Rain. Snow. Sleet. Burning heat.  Guaranteed she was there being the loudest and proudest supporter of her children.  My brother, sister and I always came first.  She began working when we were older, but she stayed at home with us during our childhood.  When she did start working again, she always came home and made us dinner and spent the evenings with us watching TV or playing games or helping us with our homework.  Still, to this day at age 32, I talk with my mother almost daily.  It used to be over the phone; now it is over FaceTime so that I can “play” with my niece. 
My siblings Matt, Kaylan, Katie, and Ian are all incredible.  I am stuck between Matt and Katie.  Yes, I always play up the middle child syndrome.  Matt is now married to Kaylan, and Ian is Katie’s husband.  I have so many wonderful memories with my siblings.  We used to all sleep together on Christmas Eve.  Matt, the oldest, would keep us up all night by asking us if we were asleep.  And at midnight, every year without fail, he would scream at the top of his lungs, “Merry Christmas!”  I remember playing in the backyard with our Siberian husky, Caia.  She would tear through the snow during the winter and attack us to take the hats off of our heads.  I remember going to the cabin with them.  Snipe hunts. Riding the four wheelers and dirt bikes and go-carts.  Walks through the woods.  Competing to see who could find the first star in the night sky.  Hikes to the Fire Tower.  I remember birthday parties.  I remember vacations.  I remember bike rides through the neighborhood.  Memories.  Memories upon memories ingrained in my head of the happiest childhood with the most incredible siblings.  Both of them are crazy in their own way.  Both can make my cry in laughter.  Both have incredible spouses that have become family. 
My childhood and teenage years were beautiful.  I am so thankful for the household in which I was raised.  I am thankful that my parents made us eat dinner together as a family every night.  I am glad that they taught us manners, some as simple as asking to leave the dinner table when we were done eating. I am thankful that they made us do chores.  I am thankful that they disciplined us.  I am thankful that they took us to church.  I am thankful for the immense amount of time that they spent with us. 
Now, my family has grown.  Doubled.  Tripled.  Quadrupled.  I consider my partner’s family as my own.  They are beautiful, wonderful people who have welcomed me into their home and family.  Despite the enormous size of the family, they are still so close.  And they are funny.  Hilarious.  I’ve never met a family who laughs more together.  Or who cracks jokes on one another as often.  Or who enjoys a good round of cards as much! I’ve been to Baltimore quite a few times by now, and I am still meeting members of the family.  I can’t keep cousins straight.  I confuse aunt and uncle names.  I don’t know which child belongs to which parent.  But I love them all.  And, best part of all, they raised the man with whom I fell in love.  But, more on that later.
I could continue writing for pages on pages about my family and their influence on my life.  But I hope that it is clear.  I had a very close-knit, involved family who cared deeply for one another.  I had parents who were crazy about their children.  We loved one another.  We laughed together.  We spent time together.  We protected each other.  I meet so many of my students who never experienced what I did.  In fact, a good chunk of them experience the complete opposite.  And each time, my heart breaks for them.  I wish they could experience a father like mine.  I wish they could feel the love of a mother like mine.  My childhood was one of dreams.  Some people fantasize for a family like mine. 
So, for those who are convinced that most people choose homosexuality due to a missing father figure or experienced sexual abuse, please educate yourself. Ignorance is ugly.  And for those who do choose homosexuality as a result of these things, give them compassion.  Practice empathy.  I invite you to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment