I have seen and experienced both sides of the aisle. I have met Christians who instantly discredit
my faith when discovering that I’m gay.
People have indeed told me that I can’t be Christian or am not suitable
to serve in ministry due to my “lifestyle”.
And I’ve met homosexuals, in fact people from all walks of life, who
have discredited my faith, complaining that Christians are close-minded,
judgmental, hypocritical individuals.
They disassociate with me and condemn my faith as a crutch for the
weak.
The reality is that there are many value systems in the
world. Many of these systems clash with
one another. They don’t always
agree. But that should not nullify love,
compassion, empathy, mercy, or friendship.
Two adults from opposing belief systems should be able to sit with one
another and have a healthy, respectful discussion without name calling or
belittlement. They probably won’t come
to a consensus. They most likely won’t
change their beliefs. But they could at
least respect the other’s opinion, not counting it against them as a mortal
flaw.
Last week I walked you through, quite quickly and
imperfectly, my faith journey. Yes, I
believe in Jesus. I believe Jesus is the
Son of God, in fact, God Himself in the flesh.
I believe he was born without sin, lived a life without sin, died on the
cross for my sin, and rose from the dead to conquer sin. I believe that my life has been redeemed
through Him. My faith has taught me the
importance of serving others, most importantly those in greatest need. My faith has led me to love people in ways
that seem unreasonable. My faith has
given me great hope, joy, strength, courage, and peace. My faith has instilled
in me a passion for justice and equity. This week, I will walk you through my
other journey, again, quite succinctly and imperfectly: my sexuality.
Let me first be clear, this is not a theological discussion
about the moral implications of homosexuality. It is not an attempt to convince
you to believe what I believe. However, I will include three links to articles
that I think address some of my personal beliefs. To be
as pithy as possible, I would fall into the label of Progressive Christianity,
in that I do not believe homosexuality is a sin as traditionally viewed by
evangelicals.
The first link is to a blog written by a Christian
pastor. I love his words. I strongly
encourage you to take time to read them. Click HERE
The other two go into a very brief and incomplete discussion
that challenges the traditional view of homosexuality. Article 1 Article 2
Before I begin my journey, I would encourage you to read my
last two blogs to get a better, more complete understanding. If you’ve already read them, let’s move
ahead!
I “came out” at the age of thirty. I went through thirty years of my life living
with masks, trapped in a prison of confusion, insecurity and shame. Thirty years of intentionally living without
authenticity, petrified of allowing people to see the real, true me. An intense internal battle, a war raging to
find freedom and truth. Peace and
love. Thirty years of treating the world
as a stage, living the life of a character, no matter how convincing or mediocre
the performance. A struggle for
identity.
But I did not become gay.
I have always been
gay.
No, homosexuality, for me at least, was not a choice. It is all that I have ever known. From the moment I experienced sexual
attraction, it has always been for the same sex. Nature.
Not nurture. Not a product of my
environment. Not a consequence of unfortunate
events. I can’t explain it. I’m not going to try to justify it, because
it does not need to be justified. No
need to feel guilty. No need to feel
dirty. No need to feel shame.
The typical story begins with young boys and girls starting
to discover their own body. The cootie
stage is always comical. They begin
experiencing puberty and hormones, and it’s all downhill from there. Boys find girls irresistible. Girls crush on
young boys. Sweaty palms at the first
chance to hold hands. A first kiss. It’s all so “natural”. But my natural was different.
I very clearly remember the first time I recognized that something
was “different”. I was in fifth
grade. It was unmistakable. All of those feelings and behaviors that
young boys and girls feel about each other, that awkward attempt to flirt,
started within me. Attraction. Nervousness.
Desire. But it wasn’t for a young
girl. Nope. It was for a friend of mine. A boy.
Some of you are squirming in your seats. You feel uncomfortable. You don’t
understand. That’s OK. Because the same way that you feel is how I
try to comprehend heterosexual attraction.
I don’t experience it. It doesn’t
make sense to me. Don’t get me wrong, I
find beauty in women. But beauty and
sexual attraction are two very different things. A desire to love and be loved is not
synonymous with beauty. Truly, I can
look at a woman, a woman with whom most men would be infatuated, and I will recognize
her stunning beauty. And then it stops
dead in its track. Yup, she has a great
body. And that’s where it ends.
Those feelings and desires and attractions only grew as I
matured. They didn’t go away. It wasn’t a phase. It wasn’t taught to me. It wasn’t even introduced to me. I simply experienced it. Naturally.
Organically.
No, it was not a choice.
Trust and believe, if it was a choice, I would have never chosen
it. Choice? Really?
You think I would choose to experience the thirty years of loneliness
and confusion and self-hatred and bullying?
You think I would choose to regularly be reminded of my sinful
choice? You think I would willingly choose
ostracism?
The older I got, the stronger the feelings. The stronger the desire. It didn’t go away. It didn’t change.
I chose to pretend. Nobody would know that I was gay. I would put on the best show possible. Honestly, it wasn’t very convincing. There were plenty of people, from sixth grade
on, who would tease me, sometimes quite intensely. Some would laugh. Joke.
Question. But it was obvious that
I wasn’t the best theatrical performer. When I was confronted or teased, I
adamantly refused. Sometimes
angrily. With deepest conviction I would
refute the assertion. This masking, this
charade, this staging was extremely unhealthy.
I can clearly remember hating myself, loathing my sexuality. Confused.
Why can’t I be normal? Why can’t
I be like everybody else? Why do I have
to be this way?
Sexuality is part of our identity. Sexuality is natural. Sexuality is human. And I was denying it. I was denying my identity. I was denying my humanity. Not only denying. Destroying it. Tearing apart my humanity. My self-worth.
It probably didn’t help that I was extremely involved with
the church. A church that preached very
traditional and conservative beliefs.
These beliefs became indoctrinated within me. Not only was I experiencing the harassment, I
was being told how bad of a sinner I was.
Quite regularly. It wasn’t
intentional. The church wasn’t aware
that I was gay. But homosexuality was
sin. Sinners are bad. Sinners go to hell. Homosexuals aren’t Christians. They can’t be! God made Adam and Eve, not
Adam and Steve. It isn’t natural. It’s a choice! How do people so willingly
choose to live in sin? It wasn’t this
simple; I’m being quite juvenile in my description. Everything was so convoluted in my head. What I was being taught and what I was experiencing
wrestled one another tirelessly in an epic battle.
This experience continued throughout college as I attended a
conservative Bible school. Very.
Conservative.
I used to try forcing myself to like women. I know that sounds silly.
I would repeatedly tell myself that I was attracted to women
and wanted to with be them and marry and have children. I tried subliminal messages, to myself of
course. I would view naked pictures of
women while trying to force myself to be heterosexual. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I was
broken. Lost. Hear me loud and clear: homosexuality is not
something that needs to be cured! Young
gay men and women may need counseling, but that is to help them work through
the process of a society that still has not accepted them. Peers that will bully them. Adults who will tell them that their
sexuality is wrong and that they need help.
Later in my life people tried convincing me to attend
counseling as a tool to “fight the temptation.”
What would counseling do for me?
I had a wonderful father figure, incredible family, and an amazing
childhood. I was not raped. Molested.
Abused. Neglected. Touched by a male family member. How was I going to explain why I was attracted to men? I could explain what I was attracted to, but
now why. Are “straight” people encouraged to explain
why they are attracted to the opposite sex? I believe that recommending
counseling to homosexuals as a form to overcome their sexuality is born in pure
ignorance, not matter the intentions.
I tried dating women.
Sincere, honest efforts to date. Pure intentions of living a
heterosexual lifestyle, no matter how miserable it would make me. I never dated in high school. I went to events such as homecoming or prom
with females, but this was always with a really close friend. There were two
relationships with women in my adult life.
One I treated much more like a best friend than a serious partner. We would spend a lot of time together, but
the physical aspect of our relationship was non-existent. There was no spark. No flame.
No interest. No desire.
The second relationship was serious. Even if I was “straight”, I’m not sure the
relationship would have lasted. We had
some great moments together. But the
relationship also had its rough spots.
Mountains instead of mole hills.
Once again the relationship lacked physical intimacy. After roughly a year and a half, I decided to
call it quits. Not because I decided to “come
out”, but because I was not happy. The
relationship was not coming easily, even aside from the limited physical
aspect. There were too many fights. Too many disagreements. She was actually a wonderful person, but I
think our personalities simply clashed in some ways. In other ways, they blended together
extremely well. To this day I wish we
could be friends but completely understand why this is not possible. Will and Grace is just a sitcom, not real
life.
I spent the next year in prayer, reflection, meditation,
study, and research. Was I going to
pursue another relationship with a woman?
Was I going to choose to live solo and alone for the remainder of my
life? Was I going to “come out of the
closet”?
When I did decide to “come out” to family and friends,
several people strongly encouraged that I call the woman that I had been dating
to apologize. Keep in mind that this was a year and a half after we had broken
up. Not a week. Not a month.
A year. And a half. I was so confused!
Apologize for what? When we were
together I gave it my best effort. I
struggled for the relationship. I was committed to the relationship. I was as
good of a partner as I could be. I was
faithful. Actually, from the outside,
our relationship probably seemed quite healthy and normal. I didn’t break up with her because I was gay;
I broke up with her because I didn’t think the relationship was right. So what
was I apologizing for? Because I’m
gay? As if it were my fault? As if I had done something wrong? If I had
mistreated her or cheated on her or had been sneaking behind her back or a host
of other things, I would understand calling for forgiveness.
So let me question all of you good ole heterosexuals. Have you called every one of your exes to
apologize that the relationship didn’t work?
Even though you tried. With your
best effort. And the relationship just
didn’t work. I didn’t think so.
In my year of prayer, meditation, study and reflection, I
had to do some serious soul searching.
What did I want for my life? Did
I want to commit to a life of celibacy?
Why is homosexuality a sin?
Surely the answer must be more than “Because God said so.” What is the context in which homosexuality is
discussed in the Bible? How did ancient
culture and traditions affect the writers and writings of Scripture?
And I had to wrestle with the silence of God. His lack of movement. My entire life I beseeched God. If homosexuality was so sinful, then I wanted
it gone in order to live a pure and holy life.
If it was of such evil, I wanted it to be removed. I prayed.
I fasted. I pleaded. On my knees.
I begged. I cried. I wept. I worshipped.
I studied Scripture. I even
mentioned it during a special “bondage breaking” counseling session with a
church pastor. God’s response:
nothing. Silence. He didn’t remove it. He didn’t “turn me straight”. He didn’t answer the prayer. Silence. Never once did I question God’s
faithfulness. Not his goodness. It never made me doubt him. Or his power.
But it did make me question the sinfulness of homosexuality. If it were such an abomination, such a
lifestyle of sin, why would he not intervene for one of his children? And it wasn’t a day or week of praying and
fasting and pleading. It was years. Decades of silence and failed intervention.
Honestly, I think Christians have placed a disproportionate weight on
homosexuality. And I think we’ve got it
wrong. For years. Centuries.
Millennia.
So after the year of reflection, I decided to “come out” to
family and friends. Close friends only
at first. The very first person that I
told was a friend from church with whom I sang praise and worship. To say that she was supportive is an
understatement. She gave me the strength
and courage to tell my family. It was
also my first conversation, ever, with someone about my preferences and
attractions. At thirty years old, I felt
like a twelve year old. I also told some
close co-workers who had become friends.
And again I experienced unwavering support. These friends actually
journeyed with me when I expressed interested in a guy for the first time. We used to sit in the office, and I would
share my experiences with them at these critical beginning stages. The story is actually quite hilarious but one
that we don’t have time for now. But we
would laugh. And laugh. And laugh.
And I probably looked like a middle schooler bubbling with excitement
and energy with butterflies in my stomach and hearts in my eyes.
And then it came time to tell my family. My sister had recently given birth to my niece,
so I already had plans to go home to visit.
I called before leaving and told my parents that I had something to
discuss with them. Upon arrival, they
took me to a local restaurant, where I opened up and shared my life
journey. Later that day, I sat down with
my siblings. I remember halfway through
sharing my story, my sister-in-law came and hugged me. And we cried together. My brother, who I was
most nervous to share with, expressed undying support, with a hint of comedy
(as always). The conversation continued
the next day, where fears were able to be shared and questions were able to be
answered more fully. There were
legitimate concerns, but they were expressed with empathy and compassion. My family covered me with grace and mercy
those days. I have never experienced the
love of God in a more profound way than the way my family loved me through that
conversation and the months to come.
I am forever grateful.
Forever indebted to the family and friends who chose to journey through
life with me. I remember an individual telling me not to choose homosexuality
because it would ruin my life. It would
destroy my relationship with God. I
would wreak havoc in my relationships with friends and family. However, the complete opposite is true.
Never has my faith been more genuine.
Never have I been more joyous and happy.
Never have I been more secure. Confident.
Never have I been more in love.
Never have I been committed to humanity. To justice.
To peace. To equity. To equality.
Never have I been more whole.
Never have I been more me.
And I love me. For
the first time. I am happy with
myself. I accept myself. I love myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment